Monday, January 25, 2010

Dire Straits of My Own

I have no pity. No chips? No chocolate? Well, my house is full of that crap and I can't eat any of it. I am trying my damnedest to low carb.

Some of you know that about a year or so ago my doctor told me that my blood sugar was close to being to high. You know, just enough to be scary, but not enough to actually be a diagnosis. It was an "almost" diagnosis. So I went whole-hog low carb. Lost some weight, got the sugar down. It was all good. Then I cheated.

You know those people who claim to be carbohydrate addicts and we all thought they were full of shit? Well, I think I just might be one of them. I LOVE carbs. I love to bake. I love to cook. I love to eat. When I cheated, I couldn't go back. But now I have to.

I am returning to the low carb circle of Hell. Think eggs, meat, cheese, and salad. Anyone who tells you that those Atkins "revolution rolls" are just like bread is lying. They aren't even bread-like. They are just plain nasty.

So, don't ask me to pity you as you eat your pretzels. At least you can eat pretzels...

P.S. I'm not really as cranky as I sound. It's just the cravings talking.

2 comments:

  1. oh I completely understand Wo. If I don't eat carbs probably I would be starved to death. even though I am a vegetarian, I don't like most of the vegetables. Mushrooms and tofu are out too unless they are spiced up. So my only solace is carbs. My love for potato cancel outs my hate for all other vegetables. Carbs ftw. I sound like a nightmare for the host but I do not talk about my dislikes if not asked. And normally I do find something carby anywhere and I am happy.

    And It's straits. I understand if rose(or probably all of you correct english lovers) wants to kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, oi. I don't get your comment, but maybe I missed the original post. Carbs come in different shapes and forms. I'm not a huge bread eater, though I have started again lately. I like pasta, but don't have to go overboard, and I quite like rice-pasta, though I know that's a wheat thing, not carbs. So saying, I probably weigh more than both WotV and oi. I eat my good stuff, and then I eat bad.

    I adore mushrooms, oi... Indian cooking is pretty good, though, with chick peas, and paneer, lentils (which I am not so keen on, but will eat) and other yummy stuff. Samosas (I know they're full of vegies, but I like most vegies!).

    Middle Eastern cooking too. Funnily enough, I'm not that keen on it, though. I don't like cardoman, certain spices - but, I would find a niche, I think, if I lived there long enough. Still adore Vietnamese, Malaysian, Thai, Korean and Japanese to a degree cooking. I think I'm a South-East, Far-East Asian girl at heart... but, I digress.

    When I was a really strict vegetarian I would sometimes have a craving for chicken. Just one bite of the sweet flesh would be enough... Otherwise, I let myself have nearly everything, so I crave hardly anything, though when I was really young here in Japan I craved mushrooms on toast, and not just any toast, Wupper bread made from a local Fremantle bakery.

    Rose puts a post in the comments again.

    Oh, WotV. My dad is borderline diabetic. You should see the size of the one glass of wine he is allowed that he allows himself.

    ReplyDelete