Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Divinity

My grandmother made Divinity every year for Christmas. She died when I was 8 years old. We haven't had decent divinity since. Almost every year I attempt it. I have failed every single time. This is my grandmother's recipe:

2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

That's it. No directions, and doesn't even mention the walnuts she always put in it. In the past, I have tried recipes out of cookbooks. It never sets up. I always end up making some sort of marshmallow cream. This year I am using my grandmother's ingredients and following the directions from another recipe, which is basically: boil the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt until 254°F, beat egg whites until stiff, pour syrup into egg whites slowly while constantly beating, beat the hell out of it until it loses its gloss and sets up.

It's that last bit that never happens.

This year, I am aware that my thermometer is off, so I'm taking that into account, and I am not making it at 11 pm after a full day of cookie-making. I hope for success. The syrup is boiling now, and almost hot enough. Time for me to chop the walnuts and whip the egg whites. Stay tuned.

2 comments: